Saturday, July 30, 2005

Common Courtesy (Part I)

These are things I happen to be thinking of now. When I think of other things, I'll post them (hence, Part I).

- If you drive someone's car for less than one week, there is no reason to adjust everything adjustable to suit your body-type and/or preference. You can make do the way it is - they sacrifice the car, you sacrifice some comfort. My grandmother is shorter than Webster and I've never adjusted anything, when driving her car. If you borrowed someone's shirt for a date or something, you wouldn't have the sleeves altered.

- Still on the car theme...If you are a guest in someone's car (aka a passenger), treat it as if you were a guest in their house. When you're in someone's house, you don't immediately start opening all of the closets and drawers to see what's in them. So when you're in someone's car, don't be one of those people who can't sit still and starts opening the glove box, the console, and anything else that can be messed with.

- Still on the guest theme...If you're a guest in someone's house, don't put your feet, especially your shoes, on their sofa. Some people even put their shoed feet on the little pillows on the sofa. I sometimes rest on the sofa and I don't want to put my face when your shoes have been. Or your socks, or your feet.

Enough personal space - on to comunity space...

- Don't sit in the right lane at an intersection, unless you're about to turn right. Don't drive in the left lane, unless you're going to exceed the flow of traffic. Leave your blinker on all day long, I don't care. But learn to master keeping your foot on the gas pedal while dialing on your cell phone. It isn't exactly rubbing your stomach and patting your head.

- Elevators are cell phone free zones. If you not only talk on your cell phone while in the elevator, but also maintain the same volume needed when you were coming in the building from the parking lot, you should be quartered. I know that's brutal, but so is making me listen to you talk about how your daughter is trying out for cheerleader, or listen to you repeatedly yell "Hello??" when it's obvious the signal was lost.

- At work, if you choose to listen to music, as most of us do, turn up the volume just enough to get the job done. If you can easily hear every instrument used in the song, chances are the people next to you can, too. Your taste in music is probably different than that of those around you. They don't make you listen to their Celine Dion, you don't make them listen to your Matchbox 20.

- Wash your hands after you use the restroom!! I have been in the restroom at work and seen some of my co-workers leave the facility without as much as a courtesy soapless hand rinse. I'm usually very polite, but when this happens, it's my duty to tell everyone else in the office to watch out because so-and-so has pee on their hands. You get some pee on your hand (not to mention what you're touching), your hand touches a door knob, I touch that door knob, I scratch my face, I hug and kiss my wife, she kisses my son, he sucks on his pacifier, and because of your barbaric sanitary habits - you've peed on my son's pacifier! For that, you should be quartered.

- If you take your dog on a walk and he goes #2 in someone's yard, use the plastic bag you're supposed to have with you and pick up the poop. I have a yard and sometimes my wife walks barefoot in it. By not doing your duty by cleaning up your dog's doodie, you're basically putting my wife's foot in your dog's rectum.


I think that's good for now. Comment and let me know what you think, America!




v. quar·tered, quar·ter·ing, quar·ters

1. To divide into four equal or equivalent parts.
2. To divide or separate into a number of parts.
3. To dismember (a human body) into four parts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People's personal property is their's, not yours. I don't care if I loan you something, it is still mine and I paid for it. I don't mind loaning anything I have to any friend of mine that needs or just wants it, as long as it is returned. I hate it when someone borrows my truck and changes everything. The main change that bothers me is the rear view mirror. I am odd and it takes me a month or so to get it where I like it. Everything else in my truck, a push of a button returns it to my settings. Modern technology is a great thing. I am also a person that believes when you borrow something you return it in better shape than when it was loaned to you. Example: You don't have a car and borrow a budies, return it with a full tank and clean it out. Now, rules are different if the two of you switch vehicles for some goofy reason.

I hope you are joking about people not having the common sanitary habit of washing their hands. My first guess would be that Rob doesn't wash his hands. Anyway, that is nasty.

Music is a personal preference and I can't stand it when punks cruise around with their radios so loud that I can't hear my own. It annoys me and shows a lack of respect for anyone. Most people these days only worry about themselves and this society is way to caught up and hung on self gratification. Personally, I don't like things loud. I have always heard the saying, "If it is too loud, your too old." I am and have always been too old.

Random dog crap in my yard pisses me off. Thor, my dog, is a great dane. I know when he craps and when it is someone else's dog's crap. I hate it. I clean the yard 1 to 2 times a week and for some odd reason there is usually less of Thor's crap in my yard. I also take 3 bags with me when I walk Thor. I walk him for an hour and a 1/2 (mainly to relax and let the day slide off) and he usually goes twice. I clean up his and usually other people's dog crap. I walk around a park where kids are always playing and I wonder why there is so much random dog crap. I wouldn't let my kid (if I had one) play anywhere near this park, for fear that they might come home covered in crap. I also walk on the college campus and college kids don't care and you can tell. I could fill a couple of 5 gallon buckets with dog crap. Anyway, I guess since I consider Thor to be the only kid I am ever going to have I see things differently. I have a responsibility to take care and clean up after him, actually we all have that same responsibility but most people don't see it that way.

Anyway, common courtesy and common sense are no longer around. We are too focused on ourselves and what we can get out of people and out of society. It really is a shame.

AB

Ezzie said...

Great post, and great first comment.
The only one I may disagree with slightly is the borrowing of a car. I don't own one, and often borrow my brother's or in-laws' car. I'm 6'0, my brother 5'7, my father-in-law about 5'6. If I don't adjust the seat and mirrors, it's dangerous. It's also almost impossible to switch it back. I've discovered that if I leave it, they will know to adjust them to their own needs; if I try and re-adjust them, they may not notice that the mirror is slightly off until they almost get hit switching lanes.
But that is not a decorum issue, I believe. In general, when borrowing something, put it back the way it was; and when a guest, do not act as if you own the place. The host will let you know if it is okay to do something - it is not for you to decide for the host.