Friday, July 27, 2007

Kid Shows

We've seen some kid shows over the last couple of years. Some of them are pretty cool, but some are kind of creepy. Here are some of the shows and characters that strike me as odd. They range from obnoxious to "I'd soak my kid in Purell if he ever came into contact with that actor in real life." I only know most of these from the incessant commercials for them during the shows we watch.

Dora/Diego

These shows, which try to convince kids that Spanish is the real English, are sometimes cool, but usually obnoxious with their constant demands of the viewer. Plus, Diego plays with a jaguar and Dora helped a strange man find his puppy one time. Who writes these shows? They should focus less on teaching what's spanish for mountain and more on what won't end in tragedy if a kid tried it in real life.


Ralph's World

He smiles non-stop in the commercials, his glasses don't have lenses in them, and I get the impression he listens to death metal when he's not performing for kids.


Dan Zane

Some people love his songs and he might be a great guy. He just strikes me as the uncle parents don't talk about because he's "not right."


Johnny and the Sprites

The most hetero part of this show is the name.


The Doodlebops

Elton John thinks this show is too flamboyant.


The Wiggles

I think this show is pretty good and the songs can be decent. The fact that a pirate shows up all the time is a little weird.

4 comments:

Wade said...

Hey B,

Thanks for the heads-up! I may call upon you for regular reviews as Tate gets older.

I happened across the Doodlebops on TV while channel surfing not too long ago. First, who ever came up with the name of Doodlebop should be severely reprimanded.

Second, I just sat there wondering if those actors were at all disappointed that their careers had come to this!

I mean seriously!

W

Monica said...

You are such a dad ( and yes that is a compliment) I agree with you on the oddness of some of these shows. My favorite is your take on Dora. I always wonder if the Doodlebop people ever get all that paint off their skin. You know they must have a hue about them.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. You forgot about the Teletubbies....don't get me started.

Libby

Andy said...

This is great stuff even I must admit even though I don't watch it and don't have kids. It is a good warning about the crap that is on tv now. I have actually seen about 10 minutes of a Dora when I was over visiting a friend of mine and they have kids. I was ready to kill and beat up the makers by the end of it, but I won't get started. As we all know, I am that crazy uncle no one likes to talk about.