Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Dead Horses

To me, there aren't many things more pathetic than watching someone hopelessly cling to former glory, as if that part of their past is the last oxygen tank they have with them at the bottom of the ocean.

What made me think of this was seeing the king of all that is living in the past: Dana Carvey. I can't tell you how much I dislike Dana Carvey. Yeah, 10+ years ago, I thought he was funny. Closer to 20 years ago, I thought he was hilarious. Now, I think he's the saddest excuse for an entertainer around. Every time he comes on Leno, which is becoming less and less often, I'm more and more amazed when he finds a way to do: The Church Lady, Bush Sr., Arnold or someone from Austria, Ross Perot, or Johnny Carson. Are you kidding me?? Ross Perot! Is there any impression more dated than that? And he still has the shaggy hairdo, now with highlights and lots of hairspray to mask the gray and the thinning. How old is he? 50.

Ad Infinitum: movie sequels. I love movies more than anyone I know. Even the people I know who love movies don't love them as much as I do. To a movie buff, there isn't much that's cooler than a sequel, especially if you loved the predecessor. In the next year, we will all be treated to Die Hard 4 (4.0), Rocky 6, and Rambo 4. Admittedly, I can't wait for all three and will be there opening day. But I see how ridiculous these movies are.

Rambo 4: Cocoon
Tagline: "This golden pond is about to turn red...with blood!"


Digging fingernails into the road of life isn't restricted to celebrities, obviously. We live in a world where grown men dye their hair, people get face lifts, grandparents shop at the same stores as their grandkids, etc. In short, a lot of people have exchanged their outward message from "I'm old" to "I'm so freakin' stupid!!"

Your life shouldn't be a tableau of your hayday. Hold it too long and the audience will eventually leave.

The bus keeps moving along. If you spend the trip looking at pictures you've taken, you might miss some of the best scenery.

10 comments:

Sam said...

I could not agree more. It is nice to have you back. To have someone who speaks for me.

Blair said...

You told me once that Hitler is the only person who truly speaks for you.

Sam said...

Seriously, there are 1 or 2 other people who read this. I find your racial insensitivity and lack of belief in the Holocaust apalling. I do not know what has changed in you but this new gay lover of yours is really having a negative effect on you.

Sam said...

Who do you think is being killed off on LOST tonight. Vegas odds heavily favor it being Shannon.

Blair said...

Dude - it's gotta be Shannon. She's the only main character who serves no purpose at all. She decoded some French in the first episode and that's all she's worth.

Sam said...

As negative as you are on the second season I am not even sure if you watched. If you did than you saw the scene where Walt comes to Shannon in the tent and mumbles something and disappears. On my ride into work today the radio station played what Walt says backwards and he clearly says "they are coming and they are close" Doesn't really tell you anything but I thought it was a cool detail.

Blair said...

Yeah, I've heard that he speaks in reverse. That's cool - especially since they must record him saying it normally and then dub it over in reverse, since water is dripping off his face, and not flying up to his face.

I thought the episode was pretty lame and predictable - I knew Anna was going to shoot Shannon as soon as I saw Shannon and Sayid walking through similar reeds as her. And they pushed the "one gun with one bullet" thing.

Next week should be awesome - the idea of showing the first season from the viewpoint of the other survivors is past due. I'm excited.

Also, Boone is a total homo.

Sam said...

and a hot one at that

Brooks Inc. said...

Honestly Blair...I loved this post...only you can make me laugh so hard and then at the end wrap all of your humor up with a line that is really deep.

Then I start reading the comments and you and Sam are hilarious. Thanks for bringing so much joy to this world! Glad your trip was fun. I loved looking at the pictures.

Blair said...

Thanks, Becky! Good to hear from you.